For the past few weeks I have seen commercials advertising Easter/Spring dress clothes for children. Many people I know have been raving about how they need to get their children a new Easter outfit. I think it is great that parents love the joy and excitement of Easter and dressing their children in new garments. Maybe it symbolizes welcoming in a new season of Spring or for Christians, it could symbolize when Jesus died on the cross and then rose from the dead shedding the grave clothes and was newly robed in Gods glory. Regardless of the reason for new Easter garments, I opted to do something different this year.
I told Aunna and Lillian that we were going to wear some pretty dresses that we have in our closet. I opted to do this for two reasons. One, I want to teach them while they are young that the true meaning of Easter has NOTHING to do with fancy dresses and shiny suits. We will be picking out one dress and giving it away to another little girl who may not have a new dress for Easter. No, I am not preaching that you do this nor am I doing this to appear deep and spiritual because Lord knows I have my own issues, I am simply doing this this year so my 4 year old will remember this one selfless act and hopefully carry it with her every year that Easter comes around.
The second reason is so that my children can learn the value of a dollar. I explained to Aunna that the money we would have spent on a new dress, we can use $5.00 of that to get her some new arts and crafts supplies. $5 is still cheaper than a $25 dress.
What do you do or did you do with your children to instill the spirit of giving and selflessness?
Be Blessed,
Angela
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Your Comments are Welcome!