
One day I overheard two black men discussing why they could not find many black females to date on their college campus. They went on to say that most of the black women on campus were overweight and cared more about their hair being “tight” than their bodies. “The white females work out all the time, but I don’t know why the sisters don’t? They are the ones that need to!” Then the other guy chimed in and said, “Yeh, man, that’s why I date white women!”
My focus of this blog is not to bash interracial dating. I am totally FOR dating whomever you want and
who you are attracted to. God created us
all equal and that goes for love also. Prior
to marrying my husband, I had the pleasure of dating various men of all
cultures and nationalities. Diversity is
a beautiful thing and it should be celebrated!
I want to focus on the idea that many men as well as other
races may think black women place hair as a priority over health. At first I found myself angry at what those
two guys were saying, and then I had to think about it. Was what they felt true? Did I place my hair over my health? Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE fabulous
hair, whether it’s natural, weaved, locked, straight, kinky, long or
short. Fabulous hair is fabulous hair!
And I do realize that to maintain African American hair requires different
maintenance than other hair types. We
want a certain degree of oils to stay in our hair, where others may not. Most black females do not shampoo their hair
on a daily basis, thus preventing some black women from participating in
physical activities that will require them to sweat profusely. Again, I am not saying ALL black women, so
please no hate mail.
My point is, for me, I have always liked to exercise and
move and sweat. My love for fabulous
hair was never a deterrent. The years I
did not exercise on a regular basis had nothing to do with my hair, but more
with me feeling overwhelmed at the amount of weight I had to lose and basically
quitting when I did not see fast results. If you are a black female who
wants to get in shape, but does not exercise, only you can answer why you have
not done so. I too have heard some black
women say out their own mouths, “Girl, I am not sweating my hair out!” But that comment does not make me think sistas don’t care about health.
When I was 318 lbs, I took immense pride in my hair and
nails. I did so not only because I knew
my appearance was important, but on a deeper and subconscious level, my hair and nails were two areas I felt I had
control over. See, my eating and weight
were areas I had no control over, but I knew how to weave me some fab
hair! Now that I am no longer obese, I
find myself feeling most free, beautiful and sexy when I rock my natural short
hair. DO NOT get me wrong, I will always
love hair weave, but now I do not base my beauty on it. When I was heavier, I felt I was not pretty
without hair extensions and that I could somehow hide my size 26 body underneath
two packs of Yaki #4.
So ladies, whether you are black or white, only you can
determine if you place hair above health.
And men, if you think this, try not to jump to the conclusion that black
women don’t care, because many times, it could be a case of just needing the
confidence and courage to walk out this health and fitness journey.
Be Blessed,
Angela
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Your Comments are Welcome!